Despite the loss of the earliest records about the club it has been determined from old newspaper files that Frenchay CC first saw the light of day in 1846.
The first reference appears in the Bristol Mirror on August 29th 1846. The match recorded showed Frenchay winning by 72 runs against Mr. Stones school at Summerhill.
Early matches are recorded against such well known clubs as Keynsham, Flax Bourton, Bedminster, Knowle and Clifton.
The captain of Frenchay for that year was none other than W.G. Grace. Interestingly the annual subscription for that year was 10 shillings. The oldest score book the club possesses is for this year and covers 1870-73.
On August 18th 1877 Stapleton were bowled out for 5 in reply to Frenchay’s 134. The game was played on Purdown.
The score-book for 1882 provides room for bowling analysis but it was rarely kept by the scorers.
This year saw the first recorded century. Alex Robinson 100 no against Redfield. Also in this year Thornbury were bowled out for 43 with Nichols taking all 10 wickets.
The end of season was marked with a Married v Singles game. The game was won easily by the bachelors.